NIA to start registration of new Ghana Cards at district offices in July

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Google+0Email this to someone

The Head of Corporate Affairs at the National Identification Authority (NIA), Mr. Abudu Abdul-Ganiyu, has disclosed that new registrations for the Ghana Card will begin in the month of July, 2021 across all NIA operational district offices nationwide.

Speaking to W93.5FM on the development, Mr. Abudu said the intention of the NIA is to create an accurate database of all Ghanaians that will enhance national development. He thus noted that all eleven districts in the Upper West region now have NIA offices which are operational. The NIA Corporate Affairs officer indicated that the Authority will ensure that all Ghanaians have the national identity card.

To this end, he stated that about 84% of the adult population (i.e 15 years and above) was registered during the mass registration exercise in 2020, adding that the registration of the remaining 16% in this bracket will commence in July 2021. He explained that, persons below the age of 15 years will not be captured in July, but that measures and modalities will be put in place and announced to the general public on the registration of such persons in the course of the year. Abdul-Ganiyu advised people to keep calm and go to the district offices once the exercise begins with their birth certificate and/or passport with the GPS address of their residence.

Mr. Abudu Abdul-Ganiyu indicated that during the new registration exercise, there will be opportunity for people who want to replace or update their Ghana card at the district offices. He stated that any update that will require the printing of a new card will attract a fee of thirthy cedis (GHC 30.00). However, changes such as the addition of NHIS number, GPS address and passport records which will not necessitate the printing of new card will attract no fee. He urged people to update their Ghana card with all necessary information especially their current GPS address as that will lead to easy identification of them.

Meanwhile, the NIA Corporate Affairs leader has called on persons who registered in 2020 but could not receive their cards to visit the district office of the NIA in the area they registered to pick their cards. He said the month of June is dedicated to the issuance of cards that have already been printed during the mass registration exercise. He advised people to take the cards as they will soon be needing them to re-register their sim cards. He further urged all who have already registered not to register again when the window for new entrants is opened, noting that such action is considered illegal and can lead to fines or imprisonment.

Comments

comments