Qualification for registration
A person who (a) is a citizen of Ghana; (b) is of 18 years of age or above; (c) is of sound mind; (d) is resident or ordinarily resident in an electoral area; and (e) is not prohibited by any law in force from registering as a voter is entitled to have his name included in a register of voters for the electoral area during a period set aside for the registration of voters
Registration centres and electoral areas
The Commission shall designate any place it considers appropriate as a registration centre for the purpose of registering voters.In designating a place as a registration centre, the Commission shall take into account
- The suitability of the place for use as a polling station on election day;
- The convenience of prospective applicants for registration
The Commission shall make known to political parties and the general public by publication in the Gazette, the radio, television or other medium of mass communication any place it designates as a registration centre at least 7 days before the first day of the period set aside for the registration of voters.
The Commission shall appoint registration supervisors for the registration of voters.
Registration supervisors shall comprise a registration supervisor and two deputy registration supervisors who shall be appointed for each district in the country.
The functions of the registration supervisors are to
- Make frequent visits to the registration centres in the district during the period of registration
- Ensure that the prescribed registration procedures are being complied with
- Ensure that the essential registration materials are available
- Make prompt written reports to the district officer or the regional director of the Commission on the availability of registration materials and any lapses in the performance of duties by officials responsible for the registration of voters
The registration supervisors shall not have custody of registration forms during the registration period but shall assist the district officer of the Commission in the distribution and collection of registration forms and other essential registration materials to and from the registration centres.
Any of the following persons may give instructions or directives to a registration officer or his assistant and shall have right of entry to a registration centre
- Members of the Commission
- Regional Directors of the Commission and their deputies
- District officers of the Commission
- Supervising registration officers of a district.
A registration officer may exclude from the registration centre any person whose conduct he considers to be disruptive to the registration process.